I am a strategy and operations leader with a proven record in government agencies, startups, mission-driven brands and non-profits. I can help you ideate and operationalize programs & policies, use data to better understand the challenges in front of you & tell stories about your community that compel action.
My favorite thing is unraveling messes.
“Messes are made of information and people.”
- Abby Covert, "How to Make Sense of Any Mess"
PAST 10 YEARS
Assistant Deputy Director and Northern California Regional Adivsor
California Office of the Small Business Advocate
Part of the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz), CalOSBA represents the voice of the small business-owner in California and helps build the statewide ecosystem to deliver information, content & resources to small businesses. Regional Advisors are appointed by the Governor.
‣ The NorCal Regional Advisor serves as the principal representative of CalOSBA to 32 counties of Northern California, developing relationships with local, state and federal partners
‣ Represent office on the Economic Recovery Support Function
‣ Prepared budget proposals and trailer bill language for GO-Biz FY 2022-23 budget
FUSE Corps Executive Fellow, City of Fresno Economic Development Team
First-year project: Launching an Opportunity Zone in Fresno
Second-year project: Building a Template for Inclusive Economic Development
‣ Led 2020 deployment team of nearly $5 million in CARES Act funding through Save Our Small Businesses working capital grants in partnership with the Fresno Area Hispanic Foundation as well as $500,000 for the Save Our Non-Profits grant program
‣ Launched the first Kiva Hub in Fresno in partnership with the Fresno Metro Black Chamber of Commerce, sponsored by the National League of Cities Innovation Ecosystems program
‣ Launched the Opportunity Fresno prospectus for 47 Opportunity Zones
‣ Led the 2021 strategic planning focusing on four sets of initiatives: Business Expansion & Neighborhood Development, Downtown Revitalization, Business Startup & Financing Support and Economic Diversification.
‣ Nominating partner for the Inner City Capital Connections Northern California cohort
‣ Panelist at the 2020 ICMA (International City/County Management Association) Regional Conference speaking on the use of Opportunity Zones as evaluation criteria for federally funded small business grants
‣ Wrote the budget narrative for the FY 2022 Proposed Departmental Budget
‣ Grew email database from 0 to 3,500+ in six months and launched department's first social media channels
‣ Completed Aberkyn Leadership Development coaching, a McKinsey-development methodology focused on mindset and behavioral change in organizations
Head of Consumer Experience, Maker Media
Make: combines print and online content, events and e-commerce in support of the Maker Movement, a tech-influenced DIY community. I was responsible for aligning business goals with the needs of the maker community and managing a cross-functional team of 15-20 across engineering, event management, content development and marketing. I championed a strategy focused on professional development for makers and evangelized learning & financial outcomes to potential investors, including venture funds, philanthropic non-profits and Corporate & Social Responsibility managers.
‣ Pitched investment opportunity resulting in three Letters of Intent from outside investors and private equity and 2019 asset purchase by founder
‣ Ideated and operationalized an online portfolio and community platform branded Maker Share as part of a $3M strategic partnership with Intel, posting $300K net income in first year
‣ Led digital growth strategy resulting in 62% YOY user account growth in 2018; a 25% YOY increase in total email file size in 2018; and the creation of new earned revenue channels through a monetized membership program and a blended-learning SAAS platform
‣ Created print and digital content including branded activations for Digi-Key Electronics, eBay, Barnes & Noble, AT&T, and GE in collaboration with Hackster.io
‣ Built product design process & team from scratch to 7-person operation
Sr. Director Media Operations, Slashdot Media for Dice Holdings
Included Slashdot.org and SourceForge.net, which together during this period hosted 54M visits and served 164M pageviews/334M advertising impressions per month. Led a team of 12 across product development, ad-ops and marketing and managed a $3.5M budget to support annual delivery of $16 million in advertising and sponsored content programs, growing programmatic advertising revenue to $40K/month.
Director of UI & Content Development, Dice.com for Dice Holdings
The leading career site for technology professionals, Dice at that time delivered 50m+ monthly page views, 11K searches per month, and 60-90k job applies per month. Directed B2B customer research and overhauled the UX, increasing total content page views by 60% and reader engagement by 55% YOY over 2012.
Director of Voter Outreach, Overseas Vote Foundation
A nonpartisan nonprofit, Overseas Vote Foundation provides online voter registration tools and services for 6M+ U.S. voters living overseas. Ran voter outreach campaign during 2010 midterm election. Secured grant funding from Carnegie Corp. and The Pew Center on the States for best-financed outreach program to date; direct email campaign drove 108% YOY traffic increase.
Strategic development and KPI definition; stakeholder management; recruiting and building results-oriented teams; SMART goal setting and evaluations; culture & workflow change management; extensive international experience; fluent in French
Data & Digital
Gathering, analyzing and telling stories with the complete matrix of economic development metrics; hands-on experience with MySidewalk and ESRI GIS data visualization platforms; defining user journeys and user & technical requirements for digital tools; email database and social audience acquisition
Budget proposal and justification; P&L and payroll responsibility; performance forecasting; identifying federal and philanthropic grant opportunities and producing grant and budget narratives including matches; pitching investment opportunities to venture funds, philanthropic non-profits and Corporate & Social Responsibility managers
Full spectrum communications: thought leadership & advocacy, ghostwriting, case studies, press releases, newsletters, marketing & advertising copy, social media, email marketing campaigns, storyboarding & script writing, decks; extensive public speaking experience
B.A. Political Science
San Francisco State University
Graduated Summa Cum Laude, emphasis on Marxist theory
Certificate in French Language and Civilization
Completed avec mention bien